Tuesday, October 18, 2011

DAY 9 – BAMBERG, GERMANY

We woke up this morning in the city of Bamberg, Germany.  We were only in Bamberg until 2:00 p.m. and we are now sailing towards Wurzburg as I write this blog.  It was a rather cool cloudy morning as we set out for our guided tour of Bamberg. Bamberg is another city that was not destroyed by World War II bombings, so of course, all the century old buildings are still intact and did not have to be rebuilt.  There are 70,000 people living in Bamberg, 10,000 of them are students at University which teaches mainly music and history – there are no sciences taught at this University.  80% of the people are Roman Catholic as it seems is most of these European Countries.  Our guide did tell us that a few centuries ago, the Protestants were allowed in but then a Bishop or an Emperor (I am not 100% sure I am getting this right) were not happy about the number of Protestants there were and they allowed the Jesuit Monks and Priests back in to St. Martin’s Church and gradually over time the people reverted back to Catholicism.  I am probably not getting this right as the guides are so knowledgeable and tell you so many things that by the time I go to write about them, I get the stories mixed up – old age is setting in I think!!! At the present time, there are only 3 protestant churches in Bamberg, the rest are Catholic. 

This was a really quaint little town though which is built on 7 hills, and once again as with most of these towns, it centers on the main Roman Catholic Church Cathedral which in this town is actually known by the locals as the Bamberg Cathedral but the church is actually St. Peter’s on one end and St. George on the other end. This apparently goes back centuries ago where each end of the church had separate domains, one for the Bishop and one for the Emperor.  In recent times, they now have two choirs, one choir for the St. Peter’s side and one choir for the St. George’s side. 

I have a little funny story to tell at this point.  By the time we got to the Cathedral, as usual with Brian, he had to go to the bathroom; so the tour guide directed him towards a “WC” sign which we learned means Washroom to us.  So while Brian was searching out the “WC”, the tour guide gave us a history of the Cathedral outside and then took us inside and all the time I’m thinking, how is Brian going to know where we went.  I had told Brian I would wait in the courtyard but I was afraid that I may not know where the guide was going, so I prayed that Brian would figure it out!  Just before we went into the Church, the guide warned us that there were strict rules  in the church and one was that men had to remove their hats.  The guide also warned us that the security people were not very friendly and did not take lightly to any rules that were infringed upon.  Anyway, I was taking pictures in the church and soon after Brian was standing by my side and I was relieved to know he found us but I didn’t notice that he had his cap on.  As the tour guide was explaining some details within the church, all of a sudden a man came up to him and they both looked towards Brian and I and I thought to myself what have we done when the tour guide said to Brian you have to remove your hat!  Poor Brian, he ALWAYS takes his hat off when he goes into any church and although he hadn’t been around when the tour guide explained the “hat” rule, he had totally forgotten that he even had a hat on!  He was so embarrassed and apologized profusely.  Thankfully they never kicked us out!  The tour guide told us later that they have been known to do that.  If he had done that, I guess I could have pretended I didn’t know who he was!!!    Leave it to Brian to get us into trouble!  I’m sure my kids are laughing right now as they know that we can’t go too long without having to find a bathroom for Brian – when he drinks anything, he seems to have a pipe that leads directly to his small bladder!

The tour was quite long and detailed but we finally got some free time to look around on our own and as is usual with Europe, there seems to be a Coffee (Kaffee) Cafe on every corner.  We were feeling quite cold, so we stopped for a coffee (Kaffee) and of course one of the delicious coffeecakes. It was one of the best coffees we have had so far on the trip.  We decided to have a “normal coffee” than the Cappuccinos or Lattes and it was heaven! Even better than Tim Horton’s and I am missing my Tim Horton’s coffee!!

I’ve done enough talking, so here are some pictures: 

100_2661

This is a statue of Poseidon.  I think this is from Greek Mythology – again, too much information overload on our tour!! 

100_2664 The statute above is known to the locals as “Gabelmoo”.  I took this picture of a cafe with the same name as I would never have remembered that!

100_2663This was the church that was given to the Jesuit Monks – St. Martin’s.

100_2668 River Regnitz which goes through the town.  Because of the 7 hills (Rome also has 7 hills), Bamburg has been called the “Franconian Rome” but the running joke with tour guides is to refer to Rome as the “Italian Bamberg”

100_2669 This is Bamberg’s city Hall.  If you look closely in the center of the building right along the bottom ledge, you will see how they finished off the drawings on the building as in the next picture

100_2672 In order to bring attention to the painted wall, they made the leg and scroll protrude.  It obviously worked as that was the first question out of our mouths asking the tour guide why they did that!!!

100_2678 See next picture to see who this is

 100_2680

This is the name of the person in the statute and she was the wife of Henry II  (Imperial Couple) and they are canonized in the Bamberg Cathedral.  See next picture….

100_2703 This is the canonized tomb of the Imperial Couple.  This is also where Brian had joined me and got in trouble for wearing his hat. 

100_2695 Bamberg Cathedral and also where Brian had to find the WC before he could go any further!

100_2696

This is the Coat of Arms of the Present Pope.  Whenever there is a new pope, the Coat of Arms change – that is why it looks new. Pope Clement II (d. 1047) is buried in this Cathedral and it is the only papal tomb to be found north of the Alps. 

100_2705

Looking towards the Altar. See the organ pipes on the right-hand side near the top.

100_2707

I  am not sure what this represents as I quickly took it as we were leaving the Church.

100_2710

This is the courtyard and housing where the Monks used to reside.  They are not in use today.  Our tour guide was telling us that this courtyard was used to film the movie “The Three Muskateers” which is being released in November.  He wanted all of us to go and see this movie as he has a “one second” part playing the role of a juggler.  He said the courtyard was closed off for months while they filmed here. 

100_2667

This is St. Michael’s Monastery on the hill.

100_2713

Another view from the Rose Gardens.

100_2722

Brian caught me once again going into all the candy and chocolate shops!

100_2718

This one is for you Breanne!!  One thing I love about Europe.  You are allowed to take your dogs into any store or restaurant.  This little guy was with his owner in a book store.  Of course, we couldn’t resist petting and playing with him.  The picture is a bit blurry as he was playing with Brian and was moving around too quickly.  Makes me want to get a dog soon….don’t tell Brian. I want one just like this.  I think it is a Coton de Tulear but the owner could not speak English to tell us what breed it is.  He gave us permission to take his picture though.

100_2724

A winter hand warmer….my hands were freezing today!

100_2716

Can’t you just see the history oozing out of these European cities.  I still can’t get over how centuries old everything is.  They obviously are modernized over the years on the inside and out but they don’t take away any of the character. 

100_2684

Last but not least is for Roy….this is the oldest brewery in Bamberg.  This was one of the beers that Brian tasted yesterday known as Raunchbier (Smoke beer).  The beer actually looks smoky in the glass.  Brian was not keen on the taste and I thought it smelled horrible!!  Bamberg has 10 independent breweries and makes over 30 different Ales. Apparently Bamberg is notable for its beers.  The drinking age here starts at 16 and 14 if you are in the accompaniment of your parents!!  Unbelievable!!!

Well, I will sign off now.  It is time to get ready to “eat again”!  Talk again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment