Wednesday, October 26, 2011

DAY 17 – VISIT TO THE CEMETERY

What a beautiful day it was for us today visiting the Cemetery.  Brian at long last had his dream of honoring his father at his gravesite.  The Dutch people are to be commended for what they have done for the Canadian Fallen Soldiers.  It is a beautiful beautiful place in the middle of a forest and is just so peaceful.  Both Brian and I had a few tears today but they were good tears.  I am putting together a YouTube video which I hope to finish by this evening and post it to my blog later (so please return to see it!).  In the meantime, I will put on a few pictures below:

100_3238

On our way….

 

100_3254

In the Museum, you can find all the soldiers in the cemetery.

100_3259

This picture is of Brian with his Father’s medals which we brought up on the screen.

100_3257

These are the little wooden shoes that Brian’s dad had sent to him from Holland before his passing.  Brian cherishes these shoes. 

100_3250

Name on the wall of fame….

100_3268 This is the entrance to the cemetery but at the moment it is under construction, so we took the picture inside the museum.

100_3271

The Regiment his dad was in.

100_3301 

100_3306 Carole (Brian’s sister) asked us to bury these coins in honor of her father.  Carole would have loved to have been here too.  This is for you Carole!  We had you in our thoughts all day.

100_3305

100_3314

100_3317

Brian alone with his dad…this is where I lost it.  I think of my own dad and what he sacrificed for the war and I am so thankful to still have my dad here with me at 89 years of age. 

100_3328 Brian’s dad, my father-in-law – Rest in Peace!

100_3340

100_3338 

100_3342

100_3339

100_3356

Row upon row….

100_3274

100_3290

Thank you Rens and Annemieke for all you do in taking care of the grave-site and for letting us stay with you and helping Brian realize his dream.  We thank you from the bottom of our heart.  May God Bless You!!

100_3380

We stopped at a cafe to celebrate after our visit to the Cemetery!

This was the perfect ending to a wonderful holiday!  We will be on our way home tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Janet & Brian,what a moving tribute to your dear father Brian, it brought tears to my eyes, I can't imagine how you felt after all those long years and finally being so close to your dad. This Remembrance Day will I'm sure be especially special to you as you remember this day. I always get emotional this time of year as my dad like Janet's fought in the 2WW for Britain and he is now gone but always remember the many stories my dad told of the war days which dear Brian you never heard from yours. Blessings to you both, enjoy the rest of journey and hope to see you soon. Love Anne Hussey

    ReplyDelete