Friday, August 29, 2014

Friday, Sept 29–London, England

We left Guelph on Wednesday evening finally on our next vacation adventure but not looking forward to a sleepless night on the plane but Brian had a nice surprise for me – he had upgraded our seats to Business Class!!!  It was great – we were able to go to the Maple Leaf Lounge at the airport after going through security and were able to sit in comfortable chairs and eat and drink to our desire at no extra cost.  Finally it was time to board the plane and we had priority seating and found our individual “pods” to sit it.  It was just great, the seats fully reclined and you could adjust the angle of everything on the seat, the headrest, the foot rest, nice comfortable duvet cover and pillow.  We were offered a gourmet dinner but it was so late (12:00 midnight) that they offered a full meal that I knew if I ate anything, I would end up with a bellyache, so I just had a small salad.  Brian ate the meal but he did suffer by the end of the flight with a belly ache.  Having to eat and then proceed to lie down to sleep is just not a thing we can do anymore without consequences.  So although I wouldn’t say I had a good night’s sleep, it certainly was so much nicer being able to lie down and doze off.  I actually think I slept longer than I thought as before I knew it they were serving breakfast and then we landed in Heathrow.  Many flights were arriving at the same time so UK Customs was packed with people but as we were business class, we were able to go to the priority line but even that line was quite cued up.  We finally got through and proceeded to get our luggage and found the Holland-America representative who drove us to JW Marriott Grosvenor House where we are staying until Saturday when we are bused to Dover where we board the ship.

We were both so tired last night that we fell asleep by 8:30 but then I woke around 11:00 and just couldn’t go back to sleep.  With all my tossing and turning, I ended up waking Brian up and then he couldn’t sleep either.  We figured at home it was only 7:00 p.m. (to us) and probably why we couldn’t sleep!  We ended up turning on the TV to try to lull us back to sleep and eventually, probably around 2:30 we got back to sleep only to wake by 6:00!  We decided that since Hyde Park is right across the street, we would go for a run.  It was great to get out and do a bit of exercise and  enjoy the park.  We had our breakfast and then found out they had free wi-fi access in the lounge at the hotel, so I am going to post this Blog shortly.  We are meeting up with the Tovey side of the family this morning and going to a couple of London Pubs and heading up to Covent Gardens for a late lunch with the Tovey clan.  So looking forward to visiting with family and plan to take some pictures to add to my blog tonight.  I will update again later today…..here are a couple of pictures from the plane: 

photo 1

Brian in his “sleeping pod”

photo 2

Brian sleeping!

photo

This is what the pod looked like. 

photo 4

My continental breakfast on the plane.

photo 5

A selfie of us out for a run this morning at 6:30 in Hyde Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment